CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 14, 2010

last 12 hour shift...thank God!

just finished my last 12 hour shift. what i was thinking when i agreed to work two 12's every other Saturday and Sunday, I don't know. I finally decided it wasn't worth it to me and told my boss I'd like straight 8 hour shifts. I like my family, and my boyfriend, and I'd like to see them once in a while.

i also got a letter in the mail, letting me know i got into the lpn to rn program, starting this may and finishing this december (only two semesters!). i'm excited, but nervous...back to school, bills to pay. but it'll be more than worth it once i'm done. i'm hoping to write more about it. i enjoy going back and reading what i wrote. going from full-time to registry is scary, but i know this is what i'm supposed to do. i just hope for everything to fall into place.

i'm a little frustrated with the CNAs at work. most of them, the vast majority, are great. i love them and appreciate how hard they work, and i try to thank them for doing such a thankless, emotionally and physically challenging job. i try to get in there with them and help them with the residents. there is more to nursing than passing pills, thank God.

but then there's the few that frustrate me to no end. i floated to the Alzheimer's unit for the last four hours of my shift yesterday and today. no big deal...it's a change of pace. after i left yesterday, a resident was fighting with another resident. i get this in report and read the nurses' note. i go on throughout my shift, and as i'm passing my 1800 dinner meds, i look up to see the CNA put these two residents right next to each other. in my mind, i'm thinking, "this is just asking for another incident..." so i ask her to please move one away from the other. she looks at me and says, "he's fine." seriously? so i look at her and tell her i can see that, but i'd rather he not sit next to this resident. she continues to insist that she was here for the incident and that he truly is fine where he is. finally she moves him away from the resident. i thanked her and continue with the med pass.

after dinner, i asked if i could talk to her one on one and explain my rationale for not having these two next to each other. her response? "they don't remember anything." i'm trying to be professional, but inside i'm getting mad. she goes on to say, "so we should care plan that these two can never be next to each other?". i told her that she is more than welcome to give me suggestions, but when i ask her to do something, she needs to do it. end of story. i didn't ask her to do anything that would put anyone in harm, or would risk her certification. i made a decision based on my thinking.

on the other hand, i was the float over to that unit. she has worked over there for 2 years. apparently the nurses that work over there let the CNAs run the show and hang out in the computer room away from all the action. so this CNA resented being told what to do. (all of this was explained to me by the NOC LPN who relieved me). I completely understand all this, and am glad she is taking ownership over her job. but part of my job is making sure the residents are taken care of and safe, as well as overseeing the CNAs.

i don't care that she's upset with me. i understand that's not the way it's usually done, and maybe i should just put in my four hours and keep my mouth shut and spoon their pills in and go hide in the computer room like a meek little nurse would do.

i might look i'm easily intimdated, but i'm not. especially when i'm mad. there's a reason my dad's nicknames for me growing up were either "princess" or "mouth" depending on the situation.

maybe i'm picking the wrong battles. maybe i should just keep my mouth shut and let it be. laissez-faire. but at the end of the shift, the resident was eating peacefully by the window, and there were no incidents.

0 comments:

Post a Comment